The Tacoma Tar Pits Superfund site is located where coal tar wastes had been released to low areas surrounding a former manufactured gas plant. These low areas were filled and are now used by a metal recycling operation.
For more than 15 years, DOF has provided Puget Sound Energy with the following remediation and monitoring services:
- Managed the engineering team during the project remedial design
- Served as the primary contact with EPA
- Provided construction management and technical oversight
- Facilitated the resolution of construction issues
- Prepared the Remedial Construction Report
- Managed the design and installation of a post-remediation pump and treat ground water containment system
DOF is currently responsible for operating the containment system, completing ground water monitoring, and reporting to the regulatory agencies.