The Northwest Oil Drain canal remediation site encompasses 2.9 miles of hydrocarbon contaminated bank-line and sediment in a Utah canal. Early efforts by another firm to dredge the canal were unsuccessful. The project was divided into multiple segments and the remediation was conducted over several construction seasons.
The selected remedy for the work was to bypass the canal flow and excavate the canal in-the-dry.
DOF provided the following services:
- Provided strategy development for alternative methods to manage/remove the remaining impacted sediment from canal
- Provided analysis of alternatives and equipment capability evaluations
- Evaluated potential alternative cleanup targets
- Assisted in obtaining engineering information required to complete the design
- Provided engineering design, plans and specifications, and contractor selection assistance
- Proposed BMPs for excavation to limit and manage hydrocarbon sheens associated with the hydrocarbon impacted sediment
- Assisted with technical communications with EPA and Utah DEQ
- Provided construction oversight services documented with daily reports and photos