The Port of Seattle established a long-term maintenance dredging program as a proactive approach to preserving operating depths at specified Port berths. The goal was to institutionalize the maintenance dredging process so that dredging becomes a planned event rather than a response to an acute need. Program manuals were developed to facilitate the transfer of institutional maintenance dredging knowledge from one project manager to another and to create a maintenance dredging resource.
DOF provided the following services:
- Assisted the Port in developing a long term maintenance dredging program
- Reviewed historical Port records and data
- Evaluated anticipated long-term maintenance requirements versus existing permits
- Recommended permitting strategy for long-term maintenance program
- Developed long-term maintenance dredging program budget
- Prepared program manuals.